Sunday, December 17, 2017

Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro

In many ways this concert was a validation for Mogwai.  In the last 21 or 22 years, they have come a long way from concerts in the old 13th Note or the Key Youth Centre in East Kilbride to now playing on the largest indoor stage in Glasgow which has hosted artists like Prince, Depeche Mode and U2.

Beyond this, Mogwai have popularised unconventional music. Instrumental, guitar led, loud, distorted but catchy songs without words.  They have worked with some of their heroes and made soundtracks to films and TV shows.  They have never had a 'hit' song but they have had albums top the UK charts.

Tonight, they had local indie-poppers Sacred Paws open up.  I was able to catch the end of their set of bouncy polyrhythmic pop punk which reminded me of the Talking Heads or the Slits.  I own one of their early EPs but I will certainly pick up more of their stuff.

Ride were a really big band when I started at secondary school in 1989 at the tail end of the shoegaze phenomenon.  I loved 'leave them all behind' and bought a few of their CDs but I never got a chance to see the,  Live, they were much heavier than I expected and certainly good to see.

It was a real shame that Martin couldn't play tonight.  I can recognise his drumming with my eyes shut and it is slightly disconcerting to hear someone else play for Mogwai, with just slightly different timing and slightly different control over the beats.  The stand-in drummer did a great job for such a big show but I do wish that Martin had been able to play.  Hopefully, he'll be back to his drum stool in the near future.

The Mogwai set was a 'greatest hits' affair with tracks from throughout their career opening with Hunted by a Freak and taking in thumpers like Rano Pano, New Paths to Helicon Pt 1, Friend of the Night as well as a few new tracks.  There was great 1,2 punch of Mogwai Fear Satan (with an impressive burst of noise and light after the quiet bit) and personal favourite Remurdered.  It was nice to hear Stuart dedicate the last song of the main set to Martin.

A three song encore finished the night and the massive hometown night spilled out to a freezing Clydeside.  As always, I struggle to be objective about Mogwai but they have done well here.  They have done Lanarkshire and Glasgow and Scotland proud and pushed music forward, opening doors for other bands that make different music.

I hope to see them do this for the next 20 years.

(I almost forgot to mention the Aidan Moffat star turn as Santa to introduce the band.  Quality)

No comments: