Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mogwai at the HMV Picture House, Edinburgh

I was on the guest list for this show so this review is very biased indeed. Despite my bias it was great. I caught the end of The Twilight Sad set. I'm not too familiar with their stuff but I liked what I heard. There was a hint of Joy Division.

Mogwai, as always, were great. The set was more of a cross-section of their career than the recent Grand Old Opry show. They played highlights of the new album with greatest hits from the past including Christmas Steps, Mogwai Fear Satan and Helicon (I always call this 'Summertime' for some reason). We were also lucky enough to have Luke Sutherland on stage playing violin and singing on some songs.

A few tracks from the new album were played including the mighty George Square Thatcher Death Party. The lights and visuals were great. I think the guys had some technical problems with an amp exploding on stage at the end of the main set but it was still sounding good.

Plus the new album went in at number 25 in the chart.

Buy the album and see them live.

No comments: