Sunday, January 16, 2011

A highly biased review of the new Mogwai album

During the week I was given a promo copy of 'Hardcore will never die, but you will' by Mogwai by a friend who is a member of the band. I guess you will not get an objective opinion of this record from me but it is a great record. Probably their best.

The new record was recorded in Hamilton last year and some of the songs were previewed at a show at Stereo in Glasgow in August. The live preview didn't really get the full produced sound of the finished album.

The record has a real Krautrock vibe to it. The first band that sprung to mind was neu! and I know that Martin and Stuart have both been listening to them in recent times. The music is beat driven and fluid with a flowing coherence. The second track has some unintrusive vocoded singing on it but for the most part the album is an instumental piece. Some of the guitar on 'too raging to cheers' reminded me of ....and justice for all era Metallica. When I gave my friend this feedback he was mildly offended.

This is a great record - probably my favourite Mogwai album. Buy it, get the fancy boxset edition from their website and see them live if you can. You will not be disappointed.

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/

No comments: