Thursday, September 02, 2010

Mogwai live at Stereo, Glasgow

I find it difficult to relate to Mogwai in an objective manner as one of my friends is in the band. They do not have the mystique of Slint, Sonic Youth or My Bloody Valentine. They are good guys who have done well for themselves. They deserve to do well for a million reasons.

The secret show that I saw on Sunday night in Stereo underlined how well they have done. They had decided to play a charity show as a break from studio sessions for their next album. The money will be split between a cancer charity and Pakistan disaster relief.

Mogwai are now as good a live band as any of my favourites. I last saw them as they headlined the Glasgow Barrowlands approximately 10 years ago and the difference is amazing. Mogwai are the best live band that I have seen in Stereo. They played a fairly diverse setlist including Helicon part 1, Mogwai Fear Satan and My Father, My King. The sound was crystal clear. The energy from the stage was electric.

For me to admit that Mogwai are any good at all means that they are probably 4 or 5 times better than anyone else. See them if you can.

No comments: